- DNS (Domain Name System) is the way that Internet domain names are located and translated into IP addresses. The list of domain names and IP addresses are distributed through the Internet in a hierarchy of authority. A DNS server is located close to your access provider that maps the domain names in your Internet requests or forwards them to other servers in the Internet.
- Smart DNS term, is used by companies to describe a DNS server which directs users to a proxy server for an unknown list of websites and services. In most cases, users pay a fee in order to use the DNS server, advertised by companies as Smart DNS and they get access to websites and services that are usually geo restricted and content is not available to be streamed or downloaded.
- VPN (Virtual Private Network) is a method used to add security and privacy to private and public networks, like WiFi Hotspots and the Internet. Users, setup private VPN service, also known as a VPN tunnel, to protect their online activity and identity. By using an anonymous VPN service the Internet traffic and data remain encrypted.
Compared to a VPN (Virtual Private Network) a Smart DNS does not provide encrypted connections and it does not change the IP address of the device in use. Instead, it changes the device’s DNS providing access to blocked content.
Because the Smart DNS does not encrypt data, the connection between website and computer is much faster than the connection established through a VPN tunnel. A Smart DNS cannot be used for security and privacy reasons. For additional security and encryption VPN services should be used.
Good guidelines for getting a Smart DNS Proxy & VPN are:
- A company that operates in a reputable jurisdiction.
- Great support.
- A stable infrastructure. In other words, your Internet should not become slow or unstable.
- Visibly listed contact information.
- The Smart DNS Proxy Server should always be used for streaming geo-restricted content or blocked websites
- Always use the VPN service for encrypting your traffic and protect your online privacy
More details about the Smart DNS feature provided by ibVPN, can be checked here.